Attitude of Gratitude
It’s time to develop an attitude of gratitude! Take time to think about all the positive things in your life, not the negative ones. Gratitude helps people feel more positive emotions, enjoy positive experiences, improve their health, deal with adversity and build strong relationships. It is one of the most overlooked tools for increasing your happiness.
Attitude of Gratitude Benefits
While many of these are backed by science, I don’t think it’s necessary to explain why an attitude of gratitude will lead us to:
- Make us happier
- Increase psychological well-being
- Enhance our positive emotions
- Increase our self-esteem
- Keep suicidal thoughts and attempts at bay
- Make people like us
- Improve our romantic relationships
- Improve our friendships
- Increase social support
- Strengthen family relationships in times of stress
- Make us more optimistic
- Increase our spiritualism
- Make us more giving
- Indicate reduced materialism
- Enhance optimism
- Make us more effective managers
- Reduce impatience and improve decision-making
- Help us find meaning in our work
- Contribute to reduced turnover
- Improve work-related mental health and reduce stress
- Reduce depression symptoms
- Reduce your blood pressure
- Improve your sleep
- Increase your frequency of exercise
- Improve your overall physical health
Cultivate an Attitude of Gratitude
A few examples to get you started.
Write a thank-you note. Make a habit of sending at least one gratitude letter a month expressing your enjoyment and appreciation of that person. Once in a while, write one to yourself.
Keep a gratitude journal. Make it a habit to write down the good things that have happened that day.
Meditate. Mindfulness meditation involves focusing on the present moment without judgment. Focus on what you’re grateful for (a pleasant sound, etc.).
Three Good Things. This is where it all starts! Small things can cause big positive changes, so find three good things each day. Before bed, write them down.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this article.
While our goal is to help you protect and preserve your precious memories, we also want to provide you with helpful information. Let us know how we can help you.
Enjoy this? Don’t forget to share!