Photo Book or Photo Album
I love working with photos, whether it be in helping you organize or preserving them for the future, but I have an absolute passion for helping you enjoy your photos, your stories, here and now.
I LOVE tangible keepsakes, ones that you can share, ones that tell your stories. Photo albums and photo books are one of the most popular keepsake methods.
What is the difference? Which is right for you?
• Both are book-like volumes that contain your photos.
• Both are tangible keepsakes.
• Both keep records of your precious memories, family and friends past and present.
No matter which you choose, both are extremely viable options.
A traditional photo album begins as a blank book, generally one you have purchased at the store (please, don’t get the sticky, magnetic kind though!).
Using a very traditional process, you gather your photos and organize them in some fashion. Then you manually attach or insert the photos into the album that is meant to protect and display your photos.
With photo albums:
• Photos are printed on special photographic paper typically using a traditional photo developing process.
• Customization and personalization is done through a manual “scrapbooking” process. Memorabilia, such as ticket stubs, event programs, etc., can be included; however, it can be a more difficult process and these items may fall out of the album.
• Usually there is only one copy available, meaning that it can be difficult to replace should it be damaged by leaks, mold or other household/natural disasters.
• It’s easy to remove photos, but also easy to forget to replace them, which leaves holes in your album.
• Older albums may not be archival safe.
Many tend to think that photo albums are “old school;” that they aren’t the modern way to preserve, protect and share your photos.
While you still have to gather and organize your photos, a photo book is printed all at once. Your photos are incorporated as part of the page design, and everything is printed on single sheets of paper that are then bound together into a book.
Photo books are viewed as a more trendy way to preserve and share your photos. Oftentimes, photo books are focused on a specific event. Photo books tend to be more lightweight and thinner than photo albums meaning they take up less room.
With photo books:
• You choose the type of paper for the pages and the cover, designing it for your specific needs. Each page can be custom designed with text to tell your story.
• Customization and personalization happens as you design each page. Most photo book publishers have special effects, custom text and other aesthetically pleasing features. Technology makes it much more fun and you are only limited by your own imagination!
• It’s easy to have multiple copies – one for each family member, to give as gifts, to store as a backup – and as long as you have the digital back-up, it can be reprinted whenever needed.
• Photos are part of the page so they cannot be removed or lost.
• Memorabilia can be scanned and easily incorporated into the page design. No loose items to fall out and get lost!
• Original photos and scans can be stored in a safe place rather than be the ones on display.
Need a Little Assistance?
That’s what we’re here for, to help you protect, preserve and share your precious memories.
Lifetime Memories can help you: Restore. Scan. Save. Print.
• Restore any favorite old photos that are cracked, faded or wearing down.
• Scan and Save the photos so that they can be preserved and passed along to others in the family.
• Print copies of photos. Display the favorites and put the rest in a fire proof safe or possibly a safety deposit box.
We are here to help whether you are a DIY-person, need a team to assist you or just want someone to do it all!